PDA

View Full Version : is split cv boot a RWC issue?

SSSYCO
1st December 2003, 11:20 AM
i just noticed 3 weeks after getting my new car it has a split cv boot, and when the car went in for roadworthy they said it needed a new cv boot, and then in the end they didnt change it and said it was ok, but now i look and see its split and the car is still under roadworthy, so do they have to fix it for me?

thanks

[ FUZZY ]
1st December 2003, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure....but there is no harm in trying.

PULSSSAR
1st December 2003, 11:34 AM
a split outter CV boot will very quickly destroy your CV as dirt and crap will get in there and stuff everything up, get it fixed STRAIGHT AWAY by a CV repair person or whoever, or do it yourself.

James
P.S fuzzy dice, that avatar is mad hahaha

Kman
1st December 2003, 02:27 PM
Yes, split CV joint boots are a roadworthiness issue.

Imagine worst case senario, the CV locks and the car goes flying off in an unexpected direction at freeway speeds....

Get it fixed.

Dave
1st December 2003, 03:14 PM
Might as well get the CV joint checked out. Does it click when turning? My CV boot kept splitting till I got my CV joint recod. No more clicking and no more split boots.

SSSYCO
1st December 2003, 11:20 PM
nah no sign of cv damage, i only checked the cv cuz the original roadworthy check said it needed one, but then the guy who actually did the roadworthy said it didnt. the cv isnt split entierly, its just got a very small hole in it (its the inner one by the way) and there is a line of grease around it that has flown out. the RWC guy said he will take a look but he said that the hole could have happened just recently from a rock or somthing, is this possible? or would it just be from general wear and tear?

Dave
2nd December 2003, 10:43 AM
It might've happened lately, when did you notice the grease? Maybe the guy was dodgy and just cleaned the grease up and said it ok instead of changing the boot.

If it's in writing on the RWC report than he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Demand it be fixed. It's easy to miss a split CV, especially a hairline slit which can later get bigger.