PDA

View Full Version : N15 SSS Tomei Poncam Installation

leon
28th July 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been trawling these forums for a few years now, but am a newbie to posting up for advice. I hope I dont get flamed LOL because I have searched every possible post relating to Cams before I had my installation of them done today.

I have just had the Tomei Poncams (260 degrees, 11.2m lift) installed into my pulsar and gained 91KW on the dyno with my timing set to 19 degrees. Pretty happy about those figures considering the car was dyno'd before the cams and produced 79KW.

My question is however, now that I have a lumpier idle (which is expected I know), but when downshifting to a stop and putting the car into neutral it will conk out. This I'm hoping would just be a matter of upping the idle a tad, however what do you guys think? I know some of you have these cams so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I bought these Tomei's, I noticed it didnt have the tomei engraving on the cam? I thought they all did? Can anyone clarify? I bought these from GCCorp.com.au btw...

Regards.
Leon

jemN14sss
28th July 2006, 06:51 PM
Out of all the Tomei cams i have seen, i have never seen any engraved.

CoZZm0
28th July 2006, 06:54 PM
no engraving on mine from what i remember. if you bought them from gccorp and they came in tomei boxes then they're tomei cams 'ey...

having the car conk out is semi-common, you need to raise the base idle, should sort it out.

leon
28th July 2006, 06:56 PM
Sweet guys, thanks for the information :)

gmc
28th July 2006, 11:33 PM
The Tomei cams seem to be made from the same blanks as the factory cams... if you look very carefully at the casting marks, they have all the same numbers etc... :)

As the guys said, set the base idle properly and it should be sweet. It's probably too low as the vacumm at idle would now be less. The AICV compensates, but there are times where it will stall before the AICV kicks in if the base idle is too low.

eXtremist
29th July 2006, 12:10 AM
If its tomei you want, gmc is the guy to talk to :)

gmc
29th July 2006, 12:11 AM
He's already got them... :)

eXtremist
29th July 2006, 12:21 AM
Sorry, double post.

B1
29th July 2006, 08:39 AM
...I have just had the Tomei Poncams (260 degrees, 11.2m lift) installed into my pulsar and gained 91KW on the dyno with my timing set to 19 degrees. Pretty happy about those figures considering the car was dyno'd before the cams and produced 79KW....

79 up to 91kw's. Now that's a healthy increase from installing the bumpy sticks and upping the timing advance. Good stuff Leon. And the lumpy idle is soothing aye :rockin:

CoZZm0
29th July 2006, 08:55 AM
79 up to 91kw's. Now that's a healthy increase from installing the bumpy sticks and upping the timing advance. Good stuff Leon. And the lumpy idle is soothing aye :rockin:

i think he's still got stock exhaust too. :yikes:

PyRoMaNiAc
29th July 2006, 09:22 AM
thats an awesome increase!

leon
29th July 2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys for your comments :)

Also, when I got my dyno reading at 79KW my SSS had extractors, 2" exhaust with lukey muffler and K&N panel filter. The car with the cams definately gives the car more punch and there is no loss of power in the lower rev range that people have mentioned can occur. The whole rev range seems smoother and it dashes to redline much quicker.

Drove the car today and she ran beautifully, but was a pretty cold morning and the car didnt really heat up to half way mark. Going to take it to my mechanic on Monday and have the idle stepped up a tad and also ask if he had reset the ECU (guessing he would have though).

Also, I handed my mechanic the Tomei installation guide that I have linked below. He mentioned this guide was gold and reckons saved me half the labour, especially due to the timing chain retention tool:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0106tur_nissan_sr20_cams/

leon
29th July 2006, 11:55 AM
Also, might i add too that Gerard from GCCorp.com.au was great to deal with to when I purchased the cams. Not only were they cheaper than any place i had seen, but he called me the morning after I ordered them to confirm the payment made and had them sent via registered post which got to my door literally 2 days after I placed the order.

CoZZm0
29th July 2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys for your comments :)

Also, when I got my dyno reading at 79KW my SSS had extractors, 2" exhaust with lukey muffler and K&N panel filter. The car with the cams definately gives the car more punch and there is no loss of power in the lower rev range that people have mentioned can occur. The whole rev range seems smoother and it dashes to redline much quicker.

Drove the car today and she ran beautifully, but was a pretty cold morning and the car didnt really heat up above half way mark. Going to take it to my mechanic on Monday and have the idle stepped up a tad and also ask if he had reset the ECU (guessing he would have though).

Also, I handed my mechanic the Tomei installation guide that I have linked below. He mentioned this guide was gold and reckons saved me half the labour, especially due to the timing chain retention tool:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0106tur_nissan_sr20_cams/

if your N15 SSS EVER goes past the 1/2 way mark on the dash gauge, shut it down immediately, it means the temp is bad and you either need to back off the gas if you're on the race track or shut it down if you're driving on the road.

frostn0va
29th July 2006, 05:30 PM
yea your car should sit just bellow half way on the temp gauge, like cozzmo said if she goes above that let her cool down, the car should go beond that temp anyhow with normal driving!

TUF555
29th July 2006, 05:48 PM
Nice - makes me wanna gets some cams - u got adjustable cam gears as well???

And also since they are talking about it how do you get better cooling?

CoZZm0
29th July 2006, 05:50 PM
Any way of getting better cooling?

fit lower temp thermostat, get radiator recored/replced with a thicker item.

leon
30th July 2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry, I meant to the half way mark - not above it :)

ON Q4 SX
30th July 2006, 03:27 PM
has anyone made a tensioner tool like in the article

gmc
30th July 2006, 03:57 PM
I find that it's easier to just remove the tensioner. It's pretty easy to remove and replace.

CoZZm0
30th July 2006, 04:39 PM
I find that it's easier to just remove the tensioner. It's pretty easy to remove and replace.

^^ agree 100%.

AWK666
30th July 2006, 05:35 PM

Motion seconded, jsut gotta make sure that you dont loose the washers or nuts

TUF555
14th September 2006, 07:59 AM
I know i am digging up an old thread but - was that on stock cam gears and also did you put any new valve springs or rocker arm stoppers in???? OR just the cams and associated stock components??

What sort of other increase would cam gears get you if had them as well
cheers

CoZZm0
14th September 2006, 08:07 AM
don't need new springs for the poncams, i'm pretty sure he didn't install any.

cam gears allow you to "tune" where the power band is either giving you low down grunt or dial it for all out top end power, or to have the power not biased to any particular part of the rev range, this is especially useful when the car is used for different styles of driving events, but tuning them on the dyno is a very time consuming job as the rocker cover needs to be removed and refitted each time an adjustment is made.

reckless
18th February 2007, 12:48 AM
Were these gains made from only fitting the poncams? (ie. no cam gears) Also, is a piggyback computer also needed? or is this just a matter of 'plug and play'?

turbofied
18th February 2007, 06:39 AM
Yes they can be installed with no other mods and see the same gains as above!

But to get everything out of them a tune, gears, exhaust and intake will need to be installed also!

TonyMontana
18th February 2007, 09:10 PM
will tuning with a s-afc yield decent results? improved fuel economy, 2-3kw? and will a tune improve idle? sorry for these noob questions. dont know much about upgrading cams.

CoZZm0
18th February 2007, 09:21 PM
idle is OK with the poncams, if it gets too rough for your liking, just raise it up 50-100rpms. I had a bonnet vibration at the stock idle level, so i raised it up, no more bonnet vibration issues.

FUSSSY
20th February 2007, 11:52 PM
Im sold. Ordering a pair right now.

SSSeeker
21st February 2007, 12:51 PM
Im sold. Ordering a pair right now.

Definetely... holy crap! thats a fricken' massive increase!

What ECU are you using?

Sean

Harte
21st February 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm 99% sure it was stock or it would have been mentioned otherwise.

Blitz
22nd February 2007, 10:07 PM
another question...

what is it with the dowel at the end of the exhaust cam for the distributer. im reading that it needs to be changed as it's longer or shorter or something for the RWD SR20's.

can anyone explain what need to be done so it can be used on our FWD engines (DET ones specifically if it makes any difference)?

CoZZm0
22nd February 2007, 10:08 PM
buy the right cams for you motor and you won't need to mod anything.

Blitz
22nd February 2007, 10:13 PM
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=21_31&products_id=111

i am...

Suits:
Bluebird U12, U13
Avenir W10
Silvia/200SX (R)PS13

however on the sr20 forum people are saying there is a slight config difference between the 2 because of the different distributer setup on the RWD SR's. obviously out of the factory Tomei would suit them for the RWD sr's because of their popularity yet to fit them to the FWD sr's theres something (minor) that need to be changed with the dowel on the exhaust cam.

this is what im trying to find out if its true and if so what needs to be done. or if it is infact a different part number for the exhaust cam which needs to be ordered specifically.

edit: for the DE cams on the tomei website they list different part numbers.. but not for the DET.

Blitz
26th February 2007, 09:57 AM
:(

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=49334

theres a thread started by James Mandy on what im talking about...

I read somewhere that the RWD cams do not fit in a FWD engine (because the exhaust cam is too long, or something to do with the dizzy on the end of it, which the RWD doesnt have, etc).

I've recently discovered that Tomei ship both sets of dowel pins with the CAMS that you purchase.

that thread was from 2003 however so im trying to find more upto date info.

gmc
26th February 2007, 10:06 AM
The Tomei cams are exactly the same for both FWD and RWD except for the dowel pin length on the front of the cam which engages the NVCS mechanism on the S13/S14 for variable valve timing. This longer dowel pin has to be cut a little shorter to match the length of the FWD cams when installing.

Tomei don't specifically list the DET Poncams for FWD applications, so it's an easy work around to fit them to a FWD motor.

Blitz
26th February 2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks Gerard!!

The Tomei cams are exactly the same for both FWD and RWD except for the dowel pin length on the front of the cam which engages the NVCS mechanism on the S13/S14 for variable valve timing.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catalogue/e076_cam_SR20DET.html

Tomei list 2 different cams for the S13 or the S14/S15 as the S13 does not have VVT, Going by your website I believe the cams we order are for the S13 as they are the closest to our FWD engines as we don't have VVT either.

This would make the only difference at the end of the exhaust cam with the different distributer setups between the two engines.

Are you saying there is no difference here ?

This longer dowel pin has to be cut a little shorter to match the length of the FWD cams when installing.

Tomei don't specifically list the DET Poncams for FWD applications, so it's an easy work around to fit them to a FWD motor.

awesome, so just take the existing FWD cam and the new Tomei cam to a workshop to be cut to the same length.

gmc
26th February 2007, 11:23 AM
That's correct. The RWD engines have nothing coming off the rear of the cam, although the dizzy drive is still machined into the cam. The FWD dizzy and CAS fit straight on without any issues.

maXXXima
28th February 2007, 07:59 PM
Damn; an increase from 79 to 91kw, thats encouraging to install my cams :D

(Subscribe! haha)

SSSWEET
1st March 2007, 11:32 AM
Damn; an increase from 79 to 91kw, thats encouraging to install my cams :D

(Subscribe! haha)

x2 ive budgeted this mod for late May :rockin:

maXXXima
1st March 2007, 01:01 PM
Haha, I already have them; just not installed LOL

Blair
11th March 2007, 04:49 PM
How much for the cams fitted?

VESSSH
2nd April 2007, 07:13 AM
which pon cams do you get for N15 SSS SR20de?

W10, Tomei part number 143041
or
P11, Tomei par number 143039

VESSSH
2nd April 2007, 07:15 AM
i just found out that it is the 143041. Thanks

gmc
2nd April 2007, 07:22 AM
i just found out that it is the 143041. Thanks

Ohreally?

VESSSH
2nd April 2007, 07:24 AM
yes really :)
why are you saying it isnt?

VESSSH
2nd April 2007, 08:32 AM
so which ones are for a N15 SSS SR20de?

LiNkStA
2nd April 2007, 09:41 AM
yeh i was also wondering do you need adjustable cam gears aswell when you get the cams?

iamsssanctum2023
2nd April 2007, 09:52 AM
IMO yes, there no point having cams, and not adjusting the lobe centres to where your ideal peak torque is. Thats unless straight out of the box they come with an advanced or retarded ground on them.

maXXXima
2nd April 2007, 12:45 PM
IMO yes, there no point having cams, and not adjusting the lobe centres to where your ideal peak torque is. Thats unless straight out of the box they come with an advanced or retarded ground on them.

Not dissing ya, but there's a BIG point in installing cams with factory gears! Thats what I've done recently and bloody hell the power increase throughout the whole rev range is phenomenal!!!!!!!!! I love it! If I got gears, I don't think i would need to adjust where the power kicks in at all! The power, for my car, seems to kick in all the time! She's awesome :D

turbofied
2nd April 2007, 01:00 PM
How much for the cams fitted?

Ive been told by a few people they can take about 2-3 hours to fit so your looking at any where from $140-210 to $200-300

maXXXima
2nd April 2007, 01:04 PM
Ive been told by a few people they can take about 2-3 hours to fit so your looking at any where from $140-210 to $200-300

True, but if you have the right tools, its very easy to do! I'm far from a mechanic myself, and we (me and 2 other guys who've never done it before lol) managed easily.

I'm still yet to write a tech article about it lol. But I will soon :o

That said, its best taking it to a mechanic who knows what they are doing in case anything breaks or stuffs up lol.

CoZZm0
2nd April 2007, 05:15 PM
i did the job myself, never done a job that big before, took me about 5.5-6 hours going at a smooth slow pace double and triple checking as i went along.

turbofied
2nd April 2007, 06:54 PM
Pay $10 and you can get blitz's neat write up!

iamsssanctum2023
2nd April 2007, 06:58 PM
Not dissing ya, but there's a BIG point in installing cams with factory gears! Thats what I've done recently and bloody hell the power increase throughout the whole rev range is phenomenal!!!!!!!!! I love it! If I got gears, I don't think i would need to adjust where the power kicks in at all! The power, for my car, seems to kick in all the time! She's awesome :D

im not saying the cams are a waste of time, its just you will get so much more out of a set of cams by dialing them in.

You might think wow now, but once you get them tuned right and what not the power wil be where you wand and or need it.

Adjusting the lobe centres and the timing of them affects compression, cylinder filling and a/f ratios.

maXXXima
2nd April 2007, 09:32 PM
Pay $10 and you can get blitz's neat write up!

Argh! I didn't know he actually wrote it up :p

I'll go read it now! I was going to write one up, but he called it first lol

VESSSH
4th April 2007, 06:55 AM
doesnt anyone know?
Tomei Poncams for N15 SSS sr20de, is the part number 143041 for a P10, W10?

AWK666
4th April 2007, 09:09 AM
Theyre both the same

VESSSH
4th April 2007, 09:36 AM
yer i know they are both the same. What i meant to say is are Tomei Poncams Part number 143041, which are used for the P10, W10, can they be used for the N15 SSS sr20de?

wilddavesss
4th April 2007, 05:05 PM
yer i know they are both the same. What i meant to say is are Tomei Poncams Part number 143041, which are used for the P10, W10, can they be used for the N15 SSS sr20de?
How about for a U13 SR20det?

Blitz
4th April 2007, 08:52 PM

The P10's (SR20DE) are the ones you order for the DE's.

How about for a U13 SR20det?

S13 SR20DET

AWK666
4th April 2007, 11:39 PM

So long as they are the FWD variant it doesnt matter.

Long of the Short, P10, W10, they are the ones that you want for the N15SSS.

VESSSH
5th April 2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks for that guys, appreciated :)