PDA

View Full Version : N13 accelerator cable

kurt
9th April 2007, 11:17 AM
hi all

How do i know if im getting full throttle because i think my accelerator cable has stretched cause i put my foot to the floor in the car and i get my dad to move the throttle in the engine bay and it can still go abit more. That little black thing that sits behind the accelerator if i get rid of that should make me get full throttle.?

NatN13
9th April 2007, 11:42 AM
hi all

How do i know if im getting full throttle because i think my accelerator cable has stretched cause i put my foot to the floor in the car and i get my dad to move the throttle in the engine bay and it can still go abit more. That little black thing that sits behind the accelerator if i get rid of that should make me get full throttle.?

that little back stopper is there so it lowers the risk of you stretching the cable ( well thats what i think anyway).

is your throttle cable adjusted?
is there a tear in the plastic seath anywhere? ( you should be able to see a metal mesh)

try to avoid replacing the throttle cable, its a PITA to do, and i dont want to do it again.

kurt
9th April 2007, 04:54 PM
that little back stopper is there so it lowers the risk of you stretching the cable ( well thats what i think anyway).

is your throttle cable adjusted?
is there a tear in the plastic seath anywhere? ( you should be able to see a metal mesh)

try to avoid replacing the throttle cable, its a PITA to do, and i dont want to do it again.

I think my throttle cable needs replacing because ive adjusted it as much as i can before i make the revs rise. Whats the black seath.?

Baron
9th April 2007, 05:23 PM
The black sheath is just the cable covering - similar to a standard bicycle brake cable. Its an integral part of the cable; wont work without it. If the sheath is damaged then you may not be able to move the cable along its full range.

As mentioned, its very fiddly to change the accelerator cable. I'd suggest running it over to a mechanic or someone who can teach you how to do it.

Protius
9th April 2007, 08:53 PM
Mine is cracked and doesn't go full throttle where can I get a replacement?

Baron
9th April 2007, 08:55 PM
Nissan, Holden, Repco, a mechanic. The list goes on.

mixi
9th April 2007, 08:58 PM
Or wreckers they half price sometimes in good condition i picked mine up for $20 & my mate and I installed it in about half an hour ;)

Protius
9th April 2007, 09:26 PM
Nissan, Holden, Repco, a mechanic. The list goes on.

Repco don't, I asked the mechanic at my work and he deals with Repco and another supplier of car parts and neither have anything.

And most at the wreckers are in worse condition than mine.

Baron
10th April 2007, 07:42 AM
Repco don't, I asked the mechanic at my work and he deals with Repco and another supplier of car parts and neither have anything.

And most at the wreckers are in worse condition than mine.

Then the answer would be Nissan or Holden. :)

ps: Getting one from a wrecker would be far from ideal. I would only install a new one.

carclubpulsar
10th April 2007, 12:27 PM
Why would anyone consider a secondhand throttle cable? There is a safety issue. If it breaks you suddenly have no power and if it sticks you may have power when you do not want it.

Protius
10th April 2007, 01:13 PM
I have never considered getting one from a wreckers. I was looking for other parts and just so happend to notice ****ed cables.

Kman
10th April 2007, 01:33 PM
Be sure the cable is at fault before you go replacing it. Do you have floor mats? If there is something obstructing the pedal travel you might want to start at the pedal :)

SV-1800
10th April 2007, 01:47 PM
I got one from Holden for $112, as mentioned above they are an absolute bastard to install...watch out for the sharp edges on the pedal stopper bracket :S

Wiredpulse
10th April 2007, 01:53 PM
There not that bad to replace! (well thats how i remember it??:confused: )
Mine cost me $110 new from nissan years ago.

What you should do to cheak if your getting full throttle is, with the car turned off, remove the air intake piping so it exposes the throttle butterfly.
Have someone press on the pedal while you watch it. It should go pretty close to horizontal at full throttle. If not, it either needs adjusting or more likely replacing the whole cable.

I honestly dont remember it being such a pain to change???

Kman
10th April 2007, 02:30 PM
It's not difficult, you just need some patience and a back like a contortionist :o

Check the obvious stuff first, could save you some cash.

NatN13
10th April 2007, 04:10 PM
Check the obvious stuff first, could save you some cash.

and a sore back.

when i got my new one they had the same part number for the 16LF and 18LE. but the cable that i have has far too much play. so you might want to think about a way to stop the 4cm of play.

WildZero
10th April 2007, 04:30 PM
Agreed Nathan, i've got both a 16LF and an 18LE, they are definately different lengths.