Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SR20DE Spark Plug Info + Ignition Timing

Thanks

SR20DE Spark Plug Info + Ignition Timing

Noticed there was not a sticky for this topic on DE engines, so hope this is 'sticky worthy'

Iridiums I made a healthy gain changing over to NGK BKR7EIX(went to colder heat range because of my really compression ratio)

Most normal DE engines, I would run the BKR6EIX with a 1.1mm gap(which is standard) The N14 SR20DE is a '5' heat range plug BUT I recommend fitting the BKR6EIX and you will be able to run more ignition timing(base setting between 18~20 degrees) without fear of engine knock/pinging. The colder '6' platinum plug is used in the N15 SR20DE to reduce the chance of warranty claims from pinging.

For hi compression/DE+T conversions, the BKR7EIX could also be of benefit in getting a more reliable power output. Keep in mind, that they can foul up really quick if combustion temps are not high enough. With the increase combustion chamber temps seen in hi-comp/DE+T engines, I doubt anybody will have that problem but may just save your engine with the recessed plug.

Also, a simple ignition coil upgrade and you will be able to run a slightly larger spark plug gap for a bigger bang/fireball.

Basically, there is power in your ignition system if you have the time/patience to experiment...

I previously stated 0.8mm spark plug gap, it will not damage the car but it is better to have the widest spark plug gap possible and get better fuel emissions as a result.
    Last edited by iamhappy46; 28th March 2006 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46

Most normal DE engines, I would run the BKR6EIX with a 8mm gap(which is standard)

One can assume this would be 0.8mm.

Thanks
    i thought it was 8mm, not .8
    i dunno

Thanks
    measure the gap in a spark plug 8mm is insane
    Quote Originally Posted by TWNCAM View Post
    my car jerks like a nerd watchin redtube

Thanks

Most normal DE engines, I would run the BKR6EIX with a 0.8mm gap(which is standard)
    I checked the NGK spark plug book today, and I thought I saw it read BKR6EIX-II is a 1.1mm gap.

If this is correct, does it mean you have to upgrade the ignition coil?

Thanks
    As always, use the recommended NGK spark plug gaps...

Thanks

Iridiums I made a healthy gain changing over to NGK BKR7EIX(went to colder heat range because of my really compression ratio)

Most normal DE engines, I would run the BKR6EIX with a 0.8mm gap(which is standard) The N14 SR20DE is a '5' heat range plug BUT I recommend fitting the BKR6EIX and you will be able to run more ignition timing(base setting between 18~20 degrees) without fear of engine knock/pinging. The colder '6' platinum plug is used in the N15 SR20DE to reduce the chance of warranty claims from pinging.

Also, a simple ignition coil upgrade and you will be able to run a slightly larger spark plug gap for a bigger bang/fireball.
    I have NO CLUE about these spark plugs whatsoever. Or spark plugs in general

If I bought a set of iridium plugs and replaced the standard ones, would I get better performance without having to do anything else? If not, what needs to be done? I noticed you mentioned ignition timing and ignition coils aswell. Is this a factor?

I have zero knowledge on these so is it 'safe' and easy for an inexperienced person to go about doing these things.

I'll do a search on the timing, but to be honest I don't really want to stuff around with that sort of thing if it means it could potentially root up the engine.

What ignition coils do you recommend?

Sorry for all the Q's!

Thanks
    iamhappy46: you say upgrading the coil is a worthwhile upgrade?

On my DET I wouldnt mind running a stronger spark (nothing crazy, but just for peace of mind Ive got decent spark), is it a simple case of upgrading the standard single coil? Do you have any recommendations on coils that I could look into?

Thanks
    Alright, seems I am forgetting my DE heritage a little. On my Hi CR VE, I am running 0.8mm spark plug gap.

However, checking the NGK Spark Plug Catalogue, the SR20DE engine runs 1.1mm gap as standard...

Iridium plugs have an electrode that will last longer than copper, although not as long as platinum plugs. Performance wise, the Iridium Plug is the best, then copper followed by platinum plugs.

Basically, the BKR6EIX-11 is the plug of choice for the SR20DE unless your running hi compression, then I would consider a BKR7EIX.

If you have a N14 SR20DE without advanced ignition timing, then the BKR6EIX will still work well for you and allow your engine to run slightly cooler combustion temperatures. I do however, recommend having your mechanic advance the ignition timing and run 95/98RON fuel for a decent power increase

Obviously, the N15 SR20DE can have the ignition timing advanced on their regular 6 heat range plug... Regardless of Platinum, Copper or Iridium plug type.

When installing the new spark plugs, use a 15cm piece of old 8mm fuel hose and pit it over the spark plug(end that faces towards the spark plug lead) It will prevent you from dropping the spark plug down the tube and closing down the spark plug gap!! Lightly screw in the spark plug using the hose to tighten the spark plug to be finger tight. Then use the 16mm spark plug socket to tension around 45 degrees more.

Also updated my original post... ignition coil info in next post

Thanks
    Igntion Coil Upgrades

Many people will find that on their SR20DE(or DET's) that the factory ignition coil can cause a few problems. It is fine when the engine is stock (although on 10+yr old cars they are probably a bit worn) but once the car is modified and more demands are placed on the ignition coil, it often fails to deliver.

For those of you with the lightweight flywheels, as the engine 'revs up' quicker, the ign coil fails to charge sufficiently, often resulting in misfires. Also, when the rev limit is increased above the factory cut out, the coil can fail to deliver at sustained hi rpm due to lack of 'saturation' of the ign system.

Other causes are hi compression or highly boosted engines, where the combustion pressures are so high that the spark/fireball is literally 'blown out' resulting in a misfire. Often us boosted or Hi CR owners close down the spark plug gaps to rectify this problem. This can lose power with a smaller fireball created and less of the AF mix burnt. Not a good scenario...

Upgrading your ignition coil will allow larger spark plug gaps, more voltage saturation and more power with less chance of a misfire.

Choosing the right igntion coil for your application is where many people make a mistake.

Boosted or Hi CR engines should consider upgrading to a Capacitive Discharge Ignition(CDI) control system for maximum spark plug gap arc over voltage, best coil saturation for sustained rpm and rev'ability which will result in much better emissions and power from the engine. The Crane Cams PS92 or LX92 coil is a CDI only coil and would be an awesome upgrade with an appropriate CDI unit. The SR20DE does have a CDI system from the factory but it is not good for modified cars. The Crane Hi-6 system would be a great upgrade

For hi rpm or hard rev'ing modified N/A DE engines, a decent quality ignition coil would be a worthwhile upgrade. The Mallory Pro Master would be my choice on a modified SR20DE(or VE) with over 45kV able to be generated so spark plug gap could be widened(say 1.2mm) for a decent power gain. Also, the ACCEL range of coils would be a good investment with around 35kV able to be generated. The Crane LX91 and LX92 coils(92 with CDI unit) would also be a very good choice.

For the regular N/A DE, the Crane and Accel range of coils would make a nice upgrade while improving fuel emissions and fuel economy. The Crane LX91 again would be a very good choice...

Feel free to suggest more coils or make comments and I will update this post.
    Last edited by iamhappy46; 3rd May 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    as far as im aware, the coil is built into the distibutor of the N15's, is ther a better performing coil suitable for them??
    Quote Originally Posted by big JON
    WOW, I didn't know receiving was so difficult!!

Thanks
    I believe it is possible to convert the N15 to external coil with a new distributor cap from MSD. Needs a little bit of re-wiring(cut 2 wires, wire them to new coil) to get it working properly

Thanks
    So its possible to just simply replace the standard single coil, to a more powerful single coil? Iamhappy thanks for the info.. do you know what sorta $$ we are talking about for this type of thing?
    Last edited by MrOrange; 8th April 2006 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    I am still waiting on recommended retail prices. Hope to get some prices asap but I will PM GMC(Gerard) and see if he is interested in supplying them for us all.

Yes, a more powerful single coil is quite an easy swap from the stocko coil

Onwards the 7th... PhilSSStevenson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Igntion Coil Upgrades

For the regular N/A DE, the Crane and MSD range of coils, would make a nice upgrade while improving fuel emissions and fuel economy. The Crane LX91 again would be a very good choice...

Feel free to suggest more coils or make comments and I will update this post.

Thanks Dude for the info...

I've ordered my Crane LX91 coil from Repco - should be in Brisbane by Thursday... will fit over the weekend and advise outcome...

btw - does the Crane coil fit well where the stock one is, or will I have to do a few fastening mods?

Cheers,

Phil.
    N14 Oz Specs - the SSS cult classic

Thread Information