Thread: N13 accelerator cable

Thanks

Question N13 accelerator cable

hi there

in my sisters N13 (1.6L auto) the accelerator cable is really loose therefore you have about a cm to 2cms of free play before it actually starts moving the butterfly. it is completely different to my N13 (1.6L manual) where there is no free play in the pedal and her pedal is much harder to press than mine. is this normal in auto N13s? thanks everyone

Addy

*edit* btw, i searched but couldnt find this info. maybe my search arguments werent good enough. sorry if there is a thread on this already
    Last edited by N13Flinders; 5th May 2006 at 04:21 PM.
    as slow as it gets

Thanks
    Probably a deteriorated cable shealth, fairly common, a visual inspection of the cable will confirm this. Have a good look at the sheath first and let us know.

EDIT: Yes, it has been covered a few times
    I try to tackle one day at a time, but often several days attack me at once.

Thanks
    thanks kman, but english being my 2nd language, dont know what cable shealth is. by visual inspection of the cable b4 the throttle body, it is hanging. is that normal swell? thanks, ill inspect that shealth as soon as i discover what it is. *off to manual to try and find out*

Addy

*edit* ok, i found what shealth is
    Last edited by N13Flinders; 5th May 2006 at 06:03 PM.
    as slow as it gets

N13 Owner 13/3/05 - 16/4/10 NatN13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by N13Flinders
    hi there

in my sisters N13 (1.6L auto) the accelerator cable is really loose therefore you have about a cm to 2cms of free play before it actually starts moving the butterfly.
    yeah mate i have the same problem at the moment, it only happened after i replaced the whole throttle cable + bracket ( its a pain in the ass to do by the way) . so the sealth surley wouldnt have worn just yet, its only about 2-3 months old.
    JP 2008/2009 trip : Done
    JP 2011 trip : Booked
    V35 Owner: 9/4/10 ->

Perfect Engineering - 50-50 Baron's Avatar
    Thanks
    Don't forget if you do need a new cable not only to try Nissan but also Holden. I found time and time again Holden to supply parts cheaper than Nissan. I couldnt recomend something like an accelerator cable 2nd hand (wrecker spec)

Quote Originally Posted by N13Flinders
    thanks kman, but english being my 2nd language,
    Yet still you have a standard of english that far out-performes many of the apparent native english speakers on these forums. Just goes to show how little some people try.

Ich Wags. Gott Vermags.

Thanks
    I went few days ago to holden it was 120 for a new cable, im pretty sure they are cheaper then nissan.
    But then i thought ill have a closer look at mine because i had around 3cm play! turned out i still had around 1cm left of adjustment on the throttle body and it made a big difference, then i got a small rubber spacer and slotted it in too to tighten it more because it was really stretched and worked a treat (bit dodgy but works fine)

I noticed my idle rose a little and have to fix that
    Last edited by Chopper; 6th May 2006 at 12:44 AM.
    VH SLE
    N15 SSS

Thanks
    thanks for recommendations guys. there is no adjustment space left on this one. even though this is not a problem for my sister, it just shows that it shouldnt be like this, butterfly doesnt open fully when the pedal is pressed to the floor. im not sure if 1.6L and 1.8L throttle cables are the same. i drove my friends N13 Ti auto, and his accelerator pedal was the same. and they are pretty hard for an accelerator pedal, almost like a clutch pedal (if it was a manual).

Addy
    as slow as it gets

N13 Owner 13/3/05 - 16/4/10 NatN13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron
    Don't forget if you do need a new cable not only to try Nissan but also Holden. I found time and time again Holden to supply parts cheaper than Nissan.
    i think from memory my cable+bracket was around the $90-$95 ( trade price )
    JP 2008/2009 trip : Done
    JP 2011 trip : Booked
    V35 Owner: 9/4/10 ->

Thanks
    By sheath I mean the outer surround of the cable. The sheath is made from two plies of plastic and one ply of steel mesh with a steel cable running freely through the centre. The plastic will crack and break away very easily leaving the steel mesh to flex when pressure is applied to the throttle. It's very obvious visually.

If you've already had a look you would have noticed it I think.

I'm not familiar with the 1.6L throttle body, does it have any linkages to speak of? the 1.8 has a set of linkages that join the throttle plate to the cable, often that can be adjusted to take up the slack. Have a good look and see what can be done.
    I try to tackle one day at a time, but often several days attack me at once.

Thanks
    I can confirm that the 1.6 and 1.8 litre cables are different.
    When I got my new one, I asked if there was a difference, Nissan said yes, there are different part numbers for the two.
    1975 Toyota Corolla Coupe - 3K-D 1166cc Bigport.

Thread Information