Thread: Demerit points across state questions??

Thanks

Demerit points across state questions??

Just wonderin.... if i have a licence in Sydney... and whilest in melbourne... i got caught by a speed camera up to 10km/h...

Do i get a fine and a loss of demerit points.... or should it be just a fine since the rules across starts are different.

As i dont mind the fine but dont believe that a loss of demerit points should be warranted....

Has anyone been in this situation before and should i be losing points when in a different state in a hire car...
    Shift DAM YOU... Shift into 2nd!!!!!!!!

14.001 @ 105.8mph.... Torque Steer Pulled me into your lane.

Thanks
    AFAIK, other states can't take points off your license.

Thanks
    I hada qld licence, and got done in nsw, and the letter eventually got to me in canberra saying i had points taken off... this was over 3 yrs ago though.

Perfect Engineering - 50-50 Baron's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MY57RY View Post
    but dont believe that a loss of demerit points should be warranted....
    Are you joking?? Of course they will take points off you. What on EARTH would make you think that taking points off you, because it is interstate, shouldn't be warranted?

Think of towns such as Albury-Woodonga or GC and Coolangatta - basically one township separated by a border. Under your thinking, if I had just won a lot of money and lived in the GC, I could drive to NSW quickly; disregard all laws, pay the fines and get on with it.

Extreme example - but just points out the lack in thinking behind your thinking.

PS. They will take the points - it just takes a while longer. Cop it sweet; we all do.

edit: Also that you were in a hire car won't have any bearing. The police will enquire to the hire car company, who will advise under which person's name the the vehicle was hired. Subsequently, you get 1. fined 2. points taken off your license.
    Last edited by Baron; 29th May 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Ich Wags. Gott Vermags.

Thanks
    OH hell yes you'll lose points.
    Finger Lickin' Good

Thanks
    I got 3 points when I was living in Melbourne, then about 8 months later when I moved back to NSW and changed my license from a VIC to NSW one, the RTA disregarded this loss of points and put me back to 0 demerits (it is still that you start with 0 and work to 12 isn't it?).
    I think that there are a few cases that these kind of things slip through the cracks - I know I've had my fair share of things being "forgotten" by the police/RTA...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MY57RY View Post
    or should it be just a fine since the rules across starts are different.

As i dont mind the fine but dont believe that a loss of demerit points should be warranted....
    Different rules? Since when has exceeding the speed limit been allowed in any state?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
    Different rules? Since when has exceeding the speed limit been allowed in any state?
    Different RULEs...... why yes they do when it comes to speeding... Obviously not the whole speeding part but let me put it this way....
    Why does NSW have 1-15km/h over the speed limit bracket... but VIc have 1-10km/h....

If i was doing 11km over the speed limit in Syd i would get fined in the lowest speeding bracket... but if i did this in melbourne then i would get fined in the second bracket.... i just believe its unfair, especially since i got caught by a mobile radar...when the cop could have just pulled me over...

Ill take it on the chin.... I was always going to.... i just wanted to know whether or not you lose points or not... as what happens in the case of a double demerit point weekend...and one state has one rule that the others dont and u lose ur licence for that???

Ive never driven interstate... and havent had a clue whether u lose points or not since ive heard previously by mates that u dont lose points.... thats why i asked...
    Shift DAM YOU... Shift into 2nd!!!!!!!!

14.001 @ 105.8mph.... Torque Steer Pulled me into your lane.

Thanks
    I got done in Vic and lost points in NSW. You loose points - the speed incriment difference is just the pain in the ass factor..
    I miss my sunroof.

Thanks
    I got a QLD licence, went to NSW for a week, got done speeding, paid the fine, was told that I was going to loose a few points, and that the RTA was going to notify QT about it, but I never actually lost the points....

I love paperwork
    Quote Originally Posted by psychosquirrel View Post
    stamurbating compulsively helps with the hands.

Thanks
    In WA if you have a VIC license you get a fine but no loss of points. but if you ever go for a WA license those demerits will be waiting for you. so if you move from VIC to WA, keep your VIC licence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudoxe View Post
    Just tell the cops "Burnouts are Fully SICK mate" and ull be fine ... nothing is illegal if its Fully SICK !!

Thread Information