Thread: N13 Probs with speedo

Thanks

N13 Probs with speedo

Hey

I have a 1988 N13 pulsar GXE without the tacho dash and I am having some probelems with the speedo.

To say the least what is happening is I will be doing around 80km's or so and it will be boucing on 20km's or not working at all to say the least.

if it helps I have 15 inch wheels and tyres on the car which were installed 1 or 2 months ago and they didnt seem to be causing any probelems with it at the time.

is it also possible that it might be the speedo sensor and if so would a nissan spare parts dealer be likely to have them in?

I also get some probelems with the car stalling on start up unless you give it a few good hard revs. if anyone has any ideas what might be causing that can you let me know?

cheers guys
    My GXE Hatch RIP

N15 S1 SSS

N13 Owner 13/3/05 - 16/4/10 NatN13's Avatar
    Thanks
    the way you are describing it, it looks like the spedo has broken a cog. or mabye one of the soldier joints have cracked/broken.

as for the stalling on startup. does the ECU light flash when you start it up ?
    JP 2008/2009 trip : Done
    JP 2011 trip : Booked
    V35 Owner: 9/4/10 ->

Thanks
    Mine did the same thing. Sensor on the gearbox needs replacing. I paid $15 for the sensor from a wreckers. Unscrew old sensor and unplug it simply rescrew the new one in and reconnect it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NatN13 View Post
    the way you are describing it, it looks like the spedo has broken a cog. or mabye one of the soldier joints have cracked/broken.

as for the stalling on startup. does the ECU light flash when you start it up ?
    yeah what it seems to do is kick over, idle dies down and the ecu light flashes on right before it stalls.

and it will do it whenever the engine revs die down at times as well eg. pulling up at the lights
    My GXE Hatch RIP

N15 S1 SSS

N13 Owner 13/3/05 - 16/4/10 NatN13's Avatar
    Thanks
    then the ECU has recorded a fault code and needs to be checked.

you can do it yourself as there is a tutorial on here, but i cant remember the thread name...

or you can take it to just about any mechanic and get a diagnostic machine hooked up and see what is wrong.
    JP 2008/2009 trip : Done
    JP 2011 trip : Booked
    V35 Owner: 9/4/10 ->

Thanks
    As for the stalling up, there's a hose on the back of the Manifold that goes to a little black box on the fire-wall, dis-connect that hose from the manifold end until you can find the problem and have it fixed
    [TAKE IT EASY, AND IF IT'S EASY, TAKE IT HOME]

-Owner/Operator club member #3

Thanks
    heres the ECU thread NatN13 was talking about:

http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthrea...ding+ECM+codes
    dont touch the denden!

Thanks
    A friend of mine has a N13 Pulsar Vector & the speedo has just started playing up.

It will all of a sudden start to climb & dance around.

I have even seen it do this when i start the car sometimes. It will just dance from 0 to 80km/h. This has also happened when the car is stationary.

It also happens when the car is driving.
    The Odometer works fine.
    Car is in very good original condition with just over 140000km.

I have been to the wreckers & have Changed the Sender 3 times & it's still the same. I have also checked the Cog in the transmission & it appears fine.

When the speedo is playing up you can tap the top of the dash & it returns to normal.

I read on another post (cant find thread now) that it may be a din plug that may need soldering.
    Does anyone know what plug they mean.

My thought was that there may have been a wire rubbed through & was somtimes earthing out. but i cant see an evidence of this under the dash.

Or could the Speedo itself be getting a stray current feed from somwhere else on the Dash cluster.

Any help would be appreaciated. Paul
    Last edited by Fishrag69; 3rd August 2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Half Man; Half Amazing. WildZero's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd be 99% certain your problem lies within the instrument cluster itself, a common trait of the N13s. It's caused by a combination of poor design, soldering, vibration and most of all age & fatigue. If you're reasonably competent with a soldering iron and have some patience you can dismantle and re-flow all dodgy looking solder joins yourself; Failing that just take it to an auto-electrician, they'll have no doube reconditioned many MANY of these in their career
    -Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrix View Post
    Also, since the conversion and new clutch, I typically do 6000RPM launches in reverse when I park, so I REALLY need to see where I'm going.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildZero View Post
    I'd be 99% certain your problem lies within the instrument cluster itself, a common trait of the N13s. It's caused by a combination of poor design, soldering, vibration and most of all age & fatigue. If you're reasonably competent with a soldering iron and have some patience you can dismantle and re-flow all dodgy looking solder joins yourself; Failing that just take it to an auto-electrician, they'll have no doube reconditioned many MANY of these in their career
    Thanks for that WildZero, I will take it apart & have a look at it. I am fairly handy so i will resolder what is needed.

Able instruments in Brisbane wanted $77 to do it if i pulled the cluster out.

Looks like she will have my Dodge Ram ute for another week.

Thanks
    haha. my whole speedo panel has gone. no speedo, no odometer.. nothing on that side.
    and some times ecu light comes on for it too.(but once speedo wokrs it dissapears)

if i beep the horn, then the speedo works again for a breif period. quite amusing. especially when you discover this about 5 hours into a trip to melb.

you should see the looks you get bashing ur horn trying to get ur speedo to work whilst driving... :P
    Quote Originally Posted by psychosquirrel View Post
    lol daniel. a cappuccino doesn't make you naughty. nailing your wife's twin sister dressed in a schooldress. that's naughty.

Thanks

Exclamation omg, this is exactly the same as me ATM

my speedo has been doing this for a fair amount of time now ( like the others, getting to 80 the bouncing around, its also laggy when taking off fast.) i didnt really care that much bout it, but now for a little while its been doin what the first guy said, starting then stalling and id have to keep the revs up high to keep it from stalling.

What was the fix in the end ??, im gonna get a new sensor 2moz from wreckers and try dat..
    Please wb
    Pancake, NEED N13 AERO SIDE SKIRTS AND REAR BUMPERmad:

Thread Information