Thread: No dash lights after new headunit install!

Thanks

No dash lights after new headunit install!

Hey All,

I wired up my new stereo according to the post here!

1999 N15 Pulsar SSS stereo wiring

Dark Green - Front Left Speaker (+)
    Dark Green w/ Black - Front Left Speaker (-)
    White- Front Right Speaker (+)
    White w/ Black - Front Right Speaker (-)
    Blue- Rear Left Speaker (+)
    Blue w/ Black - Rear Left Speaker (-)
    Yellow- Rear Right Speaker (+)
    Yellow w/ Black - Rear Right Speaker (-)
    Black - Ground
    Pink - +12V Battery
    Red - Acc (i.e. ignition switch)
    Orange - dimmer function if available on head unit
    Grey - 12v when headlights on

Few lil problems, such as the Orange is actually ground not dimmer (as in the post). Anyway, headunit is wired in and sounds sweet. Problem is, I have lost my dash lights and warning tone if the car is turned off with the headlights on. I understand the Grey wire noted above is responsible for this, but there is no provision on the headunit wiring loom to accommodate for this particular wire. Can anyone inform me of what I need to do to get my lights back? Is it just a matter of connecting the gray wire to +12VDC or GND?

I tried to see what was happening on the old Eurovox headunit, but to no avail.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Motivationally challenged Fortnite's Avatar
    Thanks
    Check fuses as you've prolly blown illumination. Don't use the grey wire at all, tape it up. Black is not earth as there is no wire on the other end of the plug so earth it directly to steel behind the deck anywhere as it's currently getting it's earth through the antenna.

Illumination (cars orange wire) will show an earth until you turn the lights on then it will change to 12v.

If your new deck has illumination on it (orange wire) connect it to the orange wire in the car, if not, tape up the cars orange wire and leave it unused.
    Last edited by Fortnite; 16th May 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Orange!
    PNP-HID, the AIDS of auto electrics.

Thanks
    RIght, have done so. Orange to Orange and bleck going to the chassis! Headunit works, but still no dash light. I'll have to check the fuses tommorow (when I have some light to work with). Any idea what fuse I should be looking for, and where it's located within the car?

On another not, I was wondering if it possible to wire an additional peripheral to the +12VDC and return lines of the headunit? The item draws around 9 wats of power. Any idea if the cables will allow this, or potentially would it get too hot and melt?

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldiep View Post
    RIght, have done so. Orange to Orange and bleck going to the chassis! Headunit works, but still no dash light. I'll have to check the fuses tommorow (when I have some light to work with). Any idea what fuse I should be looking for, and where it's located within the car?

On another not, I was wondering if it possible to wire an additional peripheral to the +12VDC and return lines of the headunit? The item draws around 9 wats of power. Any idea if the cables will allow this, or potentially would it get too hot and melt?
    I'll let you know how I go.
    Shouldn't be a problem, don't add too much shit to it thou,

Also definitely sounds like you've blown a fuse, the back of your fuse panel show which one you really want, "dash ill" or something along those lines is what you want to check.
    Whilst your at it, check them all (providing you have a fuse puller) it won't hurt to check everything out

gl.
    Build thread was locked - Follow my blog for updates -> N14 SR20DET Build Blog - Pics (i've been lazy) More coming soon -> Rebuild Pics

Thanks
    Make sure the light dimmer is plugged in.
    RIP - Nissan Pulsar 1992 ES Ti - Intro Thread
    Nissan Pulsar 1992 ES SSS - Intro Thread

Thanks
    and make sure the light dimmer is turned up

Thanks
    lol yea light dimmer, forgot about that, i knew there was something i'd previously done that i forgot about :P
    Build thread was locked - Follow my blog for updates -> N14 SR20DET Build Blog - Pics (i've been lazy) More coming soon -> Rebuild Pics

Thanks
    All done, indeed it was a fuse under the hood (10Amp). It was noted as "Tail" though...? Weird, as I thought this would be tail lights, which were working fine. Dimmer function works a treat on the headunit too, with the lights turning off with the ignition.

Thanks for all the help guys! Have something cool to post in the "Car Entertainment" section soon (well, i think its cool anyway).

Thanks
    glad you sorted it out mate
    will keep a eye out in the car ent section

Thanks
    Im pretty sure the dash lights run through the same fuse as the tail lights.
    N14 for sale

Who said pulsar? I have one BMSSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donut puncher View Post
    Im pretty sure the dash lights run through the same fuse as the tail lights.
    Haha... umm i think he gets that NOW!

That might've been a useful comment before he found it out himself lol :P

Thanks
    My bad lol, didn't read through the entire thread properly, just skimmed. At least he got it sorted.
    N14 for sale

Thread Information